Midnight Rambler

The Loss
I am at a somewhat of a loss for words this time around. Words have a way of coming around when you give them an opportunity though, So here I am. I woke up today and felt somewhat empty, so I began to fill myself up with interviews and words from many of my heroes. I was trying to be inspired and to wake my heart up and get something done on my dreams. After listening to Johnny Depp, Keith Richards, John Lennon and Jack Johnson among many others I felt like I had something to say and lots of work to do.

The Inspiration
To be inspired is much like lighting a fire. You have to find the wood but if you look it is all around us in the people, the art, the music, the sunsets, the moments, the world around us, then just find the time to gather it up and the courage to light it. I realize this is easier said then done. The best way I have found to do this is to come together with people and join efforts because people don’t really inspire themselves they become inspired by others. The whole idea of being inspired is to be affected by someone or something so much that you make a move. So keep an eye and an ear out. It can be anything from a line your friend says to a video you see, song you hear, even a sunset. The more we can keep our eyes and ears open to allow ourselves to be inspired the better off we will all be.

Rehearsals
 Rehearsals were amazing as usual. We did not really play as much as usual but deep down I felt there was something big going on. I felt as if we bonded in a way that was different than usual. I think we are all beginning to figure out that after all these years none of us will be going anywhere or running off and that we are all able to handle even the worst of each other. If you have any experience being in a group of any kind you know this is key to the survival of the tribe. Kind of like a song, you don’t play for yourself you play for the song. The goal is not about winning the battle, it is about winning the war. Among other accomplishments we also put a lot of new sound proofing up as well as almost finished mixing “Lucid”.

If I Die Tonight
I know, strange title right. If you really think about it it’s not off base. We are all on our way and what exactly are we doing here? What is the sum of what we have done and what would be left behind at this moment if tomorrow we all woke up and you were gone. Would you be ok with the fact that all you have seen, heard, loved and done was all you would ever do? I guess we’d have to be. The very fact that one day I will be leaving does inspire me to live and musically I really want to leave as much behind as possible and I feel my relationships with the ones close to me are the reason I’m here so as long as I don’t fuck that up I think my life will be golden. I hope the same for you.
Tomorrow
The best thing about tomorrow is that anything can happen. Things are guaranteed to change. The winds will switch, the tides will turn. The worry you have been worried about will disappear and you will have a new chance at life. I always crack a smile thinking about tomorrow because it is all possibility. Thing is I think we should all put some eggs in our today basket because what if tomorrow never comes. It would be a shame if we built our lives entirely for tomorrow and tomorrow never came. Still I say do your best to look forward because most likely you are going to wake up to live another day and the world is going to need you.

What Happened To Rock & Roll
Truth be told, Rock & Roll is alive and well. The thing is it drives me half ape shit nuts to get on youtube and see 10 year old girls & boys doing some brand new pop cover and they have like 8 million views. They couldn’t write a song to save their lives, they can’t play an instrument and probably rarely know what the lyrics they are singing mean. What I want to know is who is listening to this crap. It is a dis to all the amazing music out there that has been done and a road block to anything good that is on its way to come out. The radio, television among many others are playing tons of absolutely soulless uninspired crap as well. It makes me sad at a time when we really need music, the stuff they are pumping out can hardly even be considered to be so. Do us all a favor and spend more time picking out your favorite music. Don’t let their half a million dollar recordings with a no talent bastard or whiny little girl with a pretty face end up being what you listen to. A heartless, soulless, money making machine with a poor bastard strapped to the front grill of one of those big black Caddillacs does not equal Rock and Roll.

The End
Then all the rockstars lived happily ever after with mansions full of guitars, drums, basses, flowing bottles of Jack Daniels, cigarettes, steaks, potatoes and super hot pretty girls that love them. I hope to see you next time for another session of Midnight Rambler. Ha


Shannon Richardson

No comments:

Post a Comment